Tuesday, October 15, 2019

It's the Berries

When I was a kid the only ice cream we ever had was homemade and we all loved vanilla so that was what we made. I say we but I had very little to do with the making of the ice cream. You couldn't buy crushed ice in that day so when we did our weekly shopping Daddy would go by the ice house and buy a block of ice. The block of ice was put in a burlap bag and crushed with the side of the axe. Mom would make the ice cream with whole milk and maybe some added cream to make it even better, to heck with the arteries, and raw eggs, who knew you weren't suppose to eat raw eggs, and sugar, we were already on the slim side so forget the calories and vanilla flavoring. 
I think that is all the ingredients we used in ice cream.  Read a label on a box of ice cream today, it will have ingredients you never heard of. Oh, yes it took an old fashioned ice cream maker to freeze it. Those were the days! But I don't want to go back to those days. You froze your butt off when you got up in the mornings in the Winter until someone made a fire in the pot-bellied stove in the living room. 
When it rained in Oklahoma, it poured and thundered and streaks of lightning brightened the sky. I'm sure it still does those things in Oklahoma, but I live in the wild west so I don't see it very often around here. 
I said all that to say this, I detest eggnog flavored ice cream. Just make it vanilla or maybe on rare occasions, some chocolate will suffice. No strawberry, raspberry or gooseberry. Why did they name it gooseberry? If anyone knows please let me know the answer.   

2 comments:

nothoughtsnoprayersnonothing said...

I remember mother turning the crank of the ice cream maker. Yes, it was a treat. I can't bare to eat it today for the very reason you stated .... ingredients on the box. I do enjoy lite vanilla yogurt.
I grew up in one state north of O.

Lorrene said...

I think we pay more attention these days. We never went to the doctor until we were sick. Now we get regular checkups. So many people smoked in those days and had no clue what it was doing to your lungs.