Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sorghum Molasses







My folks were living on a farm in Oklahoma. The year was 1932. There were four children at that time. My grandparents owned the farm, which my grandpa homesteaded by running a horse race. I’ll talk about that at another time. My parents lived on the backside of the farm and raised their own crops. They raised cotton, sorghum cane, and corn. They had turkeys, goats, cows and horses.

Everything was hard work. It was hard work to create something so wonderful as sorghum molasses. There was no running to the local Safeway and picking up a bottle of Mrs. Butter-Worth’s syrup, original, lite or otherwise. It just wasn’t done. Molasses are delicious on pancakes or cornbread and is a wonderful sweetener for cookies. To make the sorghum molasses takes a lot of time and hard work from the growing the cane to the entire process of cutting it and bringing it from the field. It was especially hard work for the horse, that had to walk in a small circle all day, to operate the press that was squeezing the syrup out of the cane.

The yellow colored syrup flowed over a large tray and was heated to a boiling point. I would explain it better, but I was very young and my memory has faded a little. I do remember that my little brother, who was only a toddler, was accidentally splashed with the boiling syrup. I remember the pathetic screams and all the scrambling my parents did to find some relief for him. It took hours to produce enough molasses to can in fruit jars. Enough had been preserved to last until the next year.

The turkeys were sold and Mom was able to buy a much needed winter coat. The cotton field was picked with help from the neighbors. The neighbors helped you and you helped the neighbors when help was needed. The cotton had been packed into a large four-wheeled trailer to be taken to town the following Monday morning. Sunday night the family went to church to fellowship with the neighbors. A good time was had by all, and when they came home and drove into the yard the first thing they noticed was the trailer of cotton was missing.

When they went inside they found that somebody had also stolen the sorghum molasses and Mom’s new coat. Think of all that work, just snatched away from them. It was a sad time. Thievery was not as rampant at that time as it is today. Everybody from miles around came to offer their condolences and offer their help.
Uncle Tom was so outraged, he offered to go gunning for the thief. He helped try to track down the trailer wheels, but they kept running into dead ends. It took years to forget the disappointment and hardship of the theft. It was talked about forever. That is why I remember most of this story. This story has a surprise ending.
Uncle Tom admitted years later that he was the thief, and he thought it highly amusing that he was over there guiding them away from the tracks instead of helping. There is just something about it. A thief or murderer cannot resist bragging about their crime.

Uncle Tom ended up being driven out of the State of Oklahoma by the county sheriff because of his bootlegging and whiskey making. I guess that is what he used the sorghum molasses for.
He left the state and moved to Colorado and never returned again. Uncle Tom was married to my mother’s sister.
A link to the making of Sorghum Molasses.


5 comments:

Goofiernu said...

I was just reading about sorghum molasses!

So sad it was your own uncle that was the thief. If I had been your Mom, I probably would have dumped him into the boiling molasses!

J. Baxter said...

What an awful man! And I think I hate the loss of the coat the most. Ironically, however, my favorite line of this whole post is, "They only had four children." Somehow I don't think of my children in terms of their ONLY being four of them.

Maybe I would if I had three or four more? (An interesting idea, but unfortunately, we'll NEVER know).

frogglet said...

That is one story I have not hears yet. I can't believe he stole the coat!
I think the worse thing about theives is not the things they steal but all the hard work you put into getting or making those things it is just not right.

Diane said...

I am quite sure I wasn't even a glint in my Daddy's eye when this happened, yet I still seethe at Uncle Tom! The nerve of him! How I would have loved to have been there to help that Sheriff run him out of town!!!

Many hugs..........

Diane

javier said...

Every family has an Uncle Tom. Ours is Aunt Sandra. I am glad you finally found out who the culprit was, though. It hurt you but it probably gnawed on his conscience for years. (GOOD!)