Thursday, May 14, 2009

Little House On the Prairie



I have read all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and now I just read "A Little House Sampler" by Laura Ingalls Wilder and her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane. It’s a collection of early stories and reminiscences. It is very interesting. It’s in the bookstores now in case you’re looking for good reading material. I just bought a book on ebay called "I remember Laura". It’s and older book and full of pictures and even some of the recipe’s of that day. Everything seemed to made with flour, sugar, cream, lard, and eggs. That was about all they had. I sure am glad we have evolved out of those long dresses with all the ruffles and how about those corsets they had to cinch themselves into. Even bustles. Hey, I have my own built-in bustle. The sunbonnet would be okay. I could hide my, bad hair days, under it. Why would you need to sweep a dirt floor? I guess it would smooth the dirt out. When it came time for the spring cleaning, they even had to take the mattress outside and pull out the straw and put in new straw. Are we spoiled or what? These books make you very very thankful for what you have.


5 comments:

Diane said...

Oh, I am sooooo thankful I live in the modern age of conveniences! I would not do well in those old dresses and covered wagons. I am not a 'dig in the dirt' kinda gal! Give me electricity, A/C, microwaves and automatic washers/dryers/dishwashers on ANY day of the week!

Many hugs.......

Diane

Kim said...

I would LOVE to live back then.. LOVED watching this show..I should look for those books.. KyLee would probalby like them also..
Have a great weekend..

Jimh. said...

I have never read the books. I have seen a few of the TV show, but I never cared for the actor much. And there were no airplanes, so I would switch to other things!

Still, I don't think I would do well on dirt floors...glad we have carpet!

Lorrene said...

I didn't care for the TV show's either, but the books are great.

Shirley said...

Several years back, I went into a sod house in Oklahoma. A historical group was keeping it up. It was nicer than I expected, especially with the whitewashed walls inside. My great-grandparents came from a time where they ate what came from the farm. The only things they bought were coffee and sugar. They lived to be very very old, so maybe their lifestyle had a lot to do with it.