Monday, February 6, 2012

Introvert Meets Extrovert


I remember when life was even more boring then it is now. I was living in an apartment on the backside of a house. Any time I have ever lived in an apartment I have lived in the backside of the house. I have lived in three apartments in my lifetime so I guess I haven’t set any records in that competition. This was the time my husband was called back to active duty during the Korean Conflict. He was stationed in Japan and I was stationed in Yakima in a backside apartment. I had a nine-month-old son. The landlord and her family lived in the front apartment. Her name was Lorraine. I have had two very good friends in my life named Lorraine. Just thought I’d throw that in. This Lorraine was a few years older and we spent a lot of time sitting in the lawn chairs under the shade tree by the side of the house sipping ice tea. We discussed everything under the sun, but that was about all there was to do. I was very upset when she told me one day that they were moving and would rent out their apartment to somebody. Who am I going to talk to now? I’ll just write more letters. Now I was writing letters to my husband and my family in Oklahoma. I should have been stationed in Oklahoma during that time, but things have a way of never working out the way you would like. 
Things perked up when the new neighbors moved in.  It was a couple my age with four feral kids. Her husband worked and she stayed home with the kids. We now had noise and kids running amok all over the place. She was a deplorable housekeeper so she didn’t spend any time doing housework. We packed up the kids in her car and took off. ‘Stay home’ was a concept she had never heard of.
We saw everything in this town. We saw everything in this town more then once. We would take a lunch and go to the river so the kids could play. Sometimes we invaded the park and go swimming in the pool. We went to movies and the library. I wasn’t bored any longer. I almost forgot that I had a husband overseas. Time moves on and you begin another chapter in your life. No two chapters are alike. 
Till next time.

1 comment:

Stephanie Frieze said...

A wonderful peak at the early '50s and I love your last line. How true! On the way home from the coast today I listened to CDs of stories of the Greatest Generation that were sent to Tom Brokaw. The stories were from soldiers who fought and wives/friends who where on the home front. Tom talked about the "Korean Conflict," too. Thank you for being a wonderful part of American history.