Monday, March 5, 2012

The World is a Strange Place

The world isn’t exactly what I was expecting. How did it get like this? Too many people buy things they don’t need with money they don’t have to impress people they don’t even like in the first place. 
People run businesses trying to collect money from people that don’t have any. 
A bank hires people to call strangers to tell them their credit card is not in trouble at this time, but they can give them a much better interest rate. 
A total stranger calls strangers on the phone to tell them five reasons why they are voting for Newt Gingrich. 
I’ve only been married once, but I always say I’ve been divorced five times so they won’t think I’m different. 
Our mailman leaves six pieces of junk mail in our mailbox and we put it in our trash so it can be recycled. 
I made a special trip to my cable company to lodge a complaint about my bill being increased until I can no longer afford it. Of course that was a waste of time, so I asked what happened to the lightening speed they are always talking about. “Oh, you must need a new modem, I will have a service man put a new one in for you”.  So it was proven that I had the speed of molasses, and he replaced it and now I have lightening speed.  When I received my bill they had reduced it by $38.00.  She had told me the bill was fine. I am holding my breath on that one. If I call to find out why, I am afraid they will say there has been a mistake and jump it back up sky high. If I don’t say anything maybe they won’t notice. Is that being sort of dishonest?  My conscience hasn’t kicked in yet. I'm sure the next month will bring it back up there. 


2 comments:

Keri said...

Yes, our world is truly a strange place. I for one would love to rewind at least 50 years or more. Things were a tad simpler then. I just dont know where we're headed these days....

Jimh. said...

Well, lets see, fifty years ago, you had rising fears of nuclear holocaust as tensions rose between the USA and Russia concerning that guy they call Castro in Cuba.
There were aircraft ARMED with LIVE nukes circling the globe, flying from the US to the Mediterranean and back, or around the North Pole and back. men who sat near their bombers waiting for the call to leave and never come back, or if they did knowing their wives and children would be a smoking ruin. People did not know who had their finger on a button that could kill them in thirty minutes or less.
admittedly crime was down, but it was still there, and hate crimes were up, but they simply were not publicized the way they are today. And they were certainly not as frowned upon as they are today. Women made considerably less and were not as close to being equal citizens as they are now. We might be surrounded by assholes, but at least we are not as close to a nuclear holocaust as we were, women have rights, and so do people of color. It wasn't long before that, that people of the previous generation thought it was okay to pack up Japanese Americans and put them in camps because of their race.

a few years before that there were thalidomide babies and the kids in Japan who suffered from heavy metal poisoning. Governments dumped contaminated waste into the water.

I think we have come a long way. I know we have a long way to go, but it isn't so bad when you look at it that way. I remember just about 24 years ago when I had to worry about being out in the rain because Chernobyl had melted down. I think YES there are things that would be nice to bring back, but there are other things I'm glad are gone.

And, Grandma, don't feel an ounce of guilt about the bill, Charter is a crock.

Love you!