Sunday, March 10, 2019

Pearls of Wisdom

There are certain things we should not keep in the refrigerator, regardless of what Grandma says.
 Bread will grow stale and even mildew in the Fridge. Keep it in a dark dry place such as a Bread Drawer. Logic over rules in this case. That must be why they made bread drawers. lol, you have to say lol every now and then so people won't think you're too serious. I keep my bread in the pantry when I think about it. Most of the time it's on the counter. 
Tomatoes should not be kept in the refrigerator. They lose flavor and a bunch of other things which I don't recall. Onions that have not been peeled should be kept in a dark cool place, but not the refrigerator. Now, where would you find a place like that in your house. In my case the garage is good certain times of the year, but not the tomatoes unless you want stewed tomatoes nor in the Winter or they will freeze. So only buy tomatoes in the Spring and Fall. When onions are peeled keep them in an air tight container. I haven't been doing that, but I will, starting now. I'll bet they will keep a lot longer. I have discover that lettuce will keep longer if kept in an air tight container and in the refrigerator.  
Do not keep potatoes in a fridge because it breaks down the carbohydrates and turns it into sugar. Sugar is our number one enemy. There isn't anything good about sugar except the flavor. It should be outlawed. It should be right up there with the Wacky Weed. 
Most people keep everything in the fridge once you take the lid off of it, but pickles and jam's will keep outside of the fridge. I'm not sure I believe it so I keep mine refrigerated. 

Today looks like Spring sprung.




No comments: