Sunday, January 30, 2011
The Dreaded Wash Day
You have to be a certain age to appreciate this.
I didn't write it, but I've been there and it's the whole truth.
THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES:
1. You had to wash the clothesline before hanging any clothes-Walk
the entire length of each line wiping the line with a damp cloth.
2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always
hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.
3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail!
What would the neighbors think?
4. Wash day on a Monday . . . Never hang
clothes on the weekend, certainly not Sunday, for Heaven's sake!
5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could
hide your "unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!)
6. It didn't matter if it was sub-zero weather . . . Clothes would
7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes!
Pins left on the lines were "tacky!"
8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item
did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the
next washed item.
9. Clothes had to be off the line before dinner time, neatly folded in
the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.
10. IRONED? Well, that's a whole other subject!