Friday, June 29, 2018

This Old House


This house is located on Adams St. in Stillwater. Ok.
Pictures can bring back so many memories. My family was living in this house when I reached my 16th birthday. There were two little one room houses  behind this house and a pen. My brother Ray had a horse in the pen. He called the horse Sox because the horse wore white anklets as I called them. Ray always said, " They are not anklets they're socks".

The other shed was used for a laundry room. My Mom went into the business of doing laundry for the many service men that were stationed there during WW11. This was before clothes washers and dryers as we know them today. Everything was hung on a  clothes line to dry. She had an electric clothes washer with a ringer to ring the item with. She spent many hours standing by an ironing board ironing the uniforms. Dad had a job with the city driving the street sweeper and also spent time in the Fall working with the threshing crews when it was harvest time. Most of the time he was also the Preacher of the church they were attending. We moved from there because the landlord wanted to move into the house as I recall. My little sister, Carol was born when we lived in this house. She was the 8th child my mother gave birth to. All the births were home births except the last one. They all had a doctor assisting the birth except the one born in a hospital. A nurse ignored my mother when she told her the baby was coming and told her it would be hours before the baby will be born. She went on her merry way and mom gave birth all alone without anyone. When Dad got through discussing it with the head of the hospital it was decided there would be no charge.
They were the start of a very large Lockwood family. I know all of us are very grateful for Dennis and Letha Lockwood.