Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Knives and Stitches


The year was 1946 when I was a young bride. I migrated out to the Northwest state of Washington from Oklahoma with my husband. It was when the WW11 had just ended and so many veterans were returning to their homes and getting married. We were living with my new inlaws and looking for something to live in.  Housing was extremely scarce with so many looking for rentals.
They lived in the middle of a fruit ranch on Garretson's grade where other ranch workers lived. My brother-in-law and wife, Darrell and Dorothy were visiting them and they are the ones we came with to make our home out here. I'm still here but he got up and left in 2010. Well, not on purpose but he passed away from medical problems. I said all that to say this:
One day they all packed up and went to Spokane and the Hub, Grandpa and I stayed behind so the men could pick apples. So I was the chief cook and bottle washer. Well, the very first day I was washing the dishes after lunch, the men had returned to the orchard. I am all alone and was washing the dishes and put a glass in the cupboard when I accidentally tipped a glass over and they tumbled out and I was trying to keep out of trouble and tried to catch the glasses. They broke against each other and my hand caught the broken glass in my left hand and across my little finger. We found out there is a main artery in your little finger and the glass cut across it and severed it, blood begin to surge out of ot with every heart beat and I was soon covered with blood, I found a huge bath towel and wrapped it up and went outside to see if I could find someone. They didn't have a phone. As I remember there were three or four houses in the area. Someone just happened, to drive in to one of the homes, I think my guardian angel had something to do with that. You know we all have one. The young men were driving a brand new car and they told me to get in which I did and we drove down into the orchard and found Bud. We took off for Yakima, this area was several miles from a hospital. We arrived at the hospital and I was drenched in blood and so weak Bud had to carry me in there and this is the part that is so unbelievable you may not believe me, but a nurse said , " Well, it's just a cut finger, you can take her to one of those doctors in the Larson building", so that is where we went and I was carried in there and up an elevator and the Dr was livid, he sewed it up but said if I was in the hospital he would have ordered a blood transfusion. I wish he would have ordered it anyway because I was so weak and sick the rest of the summer. 
Sorry this is such a long drawn out story but I get carried away!


No comments: