Sunday, August 16, 2020

Moving On


Life stands still for no one. I'm walking upon my Ninty-Tooth birthday, ready or not. My beginnings were started in an old farm-house in the country. There was no store on the corner but there was a mailbox on the corner that brought any news to us and by the time we received it, it was getting old. 
Our water came from a big hole in the back yard. It was covered and had a pump and it was a hand-operated pump. We used the water for drinking, cooking, bathing, and washing our clothes. That is until one day my Dad took the cover off the hole to have a look and it was a look I can never unsee. It had rocks in the wall of the well and a few families of Frogs had moved in. It is no wonder we had all those vomiting problems. 
I don't believe the sun went down until my Dad was having a well drilled in the meantime he brought home a big milk can full of clean water for drinking. 
Us kids and there were four of us at that time, took turns with the Chickenpox, Measles and Red Measles, and whooping cough and I had a never-ending earache.
We had no choice but I do remember someone coming to our little one-room school and giving us a shot in the arm. It must have hit the bone because my arm ached for months after. I don't think it prevented anything, we had all the diseases that came along. 
This is our family in about 1944. One was missing, our brother, Ray was still away in the Army. 
Lorrene, Benny, Mom, Dad, Carol, Cecil. In the front row are Gene and Hollis. 

No comments: