Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Merry Christmas!!!

 We must have been Po-folk when I was a kid. Oh, how we loved that Orange in our sock and the hard candy was like waking up in heaven. 

We had a Christmas tree with our homemade decorations and popcorn strung on a string. We always made taffy and we each had to scrub our hands until we passed inspection, and don't forget the popcorn balls. 

Mom didn't even have a cookbook she just knew how to make those things and I think most women in that era also knew how. She made biscuits every morning for breakfast and gravy and if it was Hog season we had ham, bacon, or sausage. Of course, the cellar had jars of Jam and jelly that Mom had canned. She also canned all the vegetables she grew in her garden. We ate healthy in those days, except for the bacon grease that she seasoned everything with. The bacon grease didn't seem to cause cholesterol in those days. Maybe they worked it off, could that be why?  Or maybe it did cause an early death because the life expectancy was probably in the 70's. I didn't bother to look it up. I do know most people didn't live much past 80 if that long. My Grandpa lived to be 89 as I recall and that was considered a very long life. I think it still is. 

Well, I see something on TV I want to watch so tata.


I'm not dreaming of a white Christmas!

No comments: