Monday, January 25, 2021

History

 I am so busy doing nothing. Sunday's Yakima Herald-Republic newspaper had the greatest article about a lady by the name of Edith Ryan telling about her life. She is now 99 years old. Her story is so similar to mine I felt that I was reading my own life history. We grew up in the same era. Her mother was born in a sod hut on the Nebraska prairie. My grandparents lived in a cave they dug out on the bank of some Oklahoma sod while they built their home. I don't know who all was involved in building the house but they got it built in time for my Grandma to give birth to her last son, my father. I think they had six or seven sons and one daughter. The daughter was the oldest so she must have spent most of her childhood helping with her siblings. 

My grandfather participated in the Oklahoma Land Rush and ended up with some land. I'm not sure what year it was but I know my Dad was born there. The lady in the story was born in the Yakima area, but she experienced the great depression, wars, cultural shifts, changing gender roles. Well, I guess everyone has if you're old enough no matter where you live.

It feels like another Sunday to me. Sunday's last forever. 

Kenny and Chris came over and brought me some Blue Berry Muffins(Wow! delicious) among other things. 

Well, back to my knitting. I ordered a new 36 inch circular knitting needle as I thought I would knit a lap robe for a change instead of crocheting. Forget that noise! Back to crocheting for me. I used to knit everything but my hands are slightly trembly so I accidently jerk out 3 or 4 stitches. Putting those stitches back on the needle just right takes some sturdy hands. This is a picture of the Oklahoma land rush and it says 1892. Some of the family's would follow in their covered wagons. 


No comments: