Sunday, January 3, 2021

Days of the Past

Many moons ago when I was a preteen we lived in an old farm-house. You woke up in the morning to the sound of roosters crowing. No one was in much of a hurry. Not much to look forward to. No newspaper until the mailman (the carrier was always a man) delivered it to your mailbox on the corner of our property.  There was an upstairs in our house that had never been wallpapered so we pasted old newspapers to the wall. I think we thought it would block some of the cold air out. As I recall it didn't serve the purpose very well because I always woke up shivering and didn't waste any time getting downstairs so I could hover over the top of that old potbellied stove and try to warm up. Grandpa lived with us and his duty was to take care of the stove. He did a mighty fine job of it, he would bring in wood and coal. Us kids were required to bring in wood also, we'd stack it in our arms and carry it in.

I remember reading the newspaper from bed or trying to. I remember Hitler's picture was on the ceiling and who was Hess? His picture was there too. 

Mom had to do the laundry from an old galvanised washtub and a washboard and it was hung on a clothesline. I think there were about six of us at that time. 

One day they bought a Washer and it was not electric it had a motor such as a lawnmower and a cord to pull to start the motor. It danced all over the screened-in back porch. It had a hand-operated wringer attached to it. Mom thought she had died and gone to heaven. Many years later as life went on she had all the modern appliances but always said that Washer was the one that brought her the most happiness. 

I said all that to say this, stop bellyaching about the Pandemic, It's just a little bump in the road. 



No comments: