Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Wait and See


The story of my life! I am forever waiting for something! Now, it's waiting to see if the medicine will restore the food taste to normal. Starting with a very low dosage. It will also take care of depression and sleep problems. I think a positive attitude should also help.
I had lost 15 pounds which is something to write home about. I am not complaining about that!

When I moved from the flat land of Oklahoma to the land of mountain country, Washington State, I soon learned the meaning of homesickness. Housing was so hard to find. WW2 men returning home and getting married to their penpals, and girlfriends were causing a massive shortage of rentals. Some folks owned the big family homes and remodeled them into rentals. We rented 2 rooms on the back side of a house. I could look out one window and all I could see was the alley and a little storage shed with silver-colored garbage cans. My landlady's husband was a wino so he was usually back there with his bottle in his pocket. That wasn't too exciting so I would look out the other window and there was the driveway to the garage. This room was the combined kitchen and living room. Our other room was a bedroom which was across the hall.   In the hall were a sink and water and a toilet also shared. The most disgusting thing of all was the bathtub was downstairs in the Landlady's apartment and she had a sign posted, "Only two baths per week". One time we had taken a job to make a few extra dollars, it was training hops. A very dirty job on the ground all day and the landlady would not bend the rule for us, we went to a family member to get our baths. She was also very religious. One time I asked her if she was going to go see the concert of Roy Acuff which was coming soon and she replied that he was going to hell fast enough without her help. 

We had two boys, Kenny, Mel, and Karen. 

I had met and married a friend of a friend and we were madly in love and he wanted to live here in Washington state. It all sounded like fun to me and it was except for the homesickness. I have now been widowed for 32 years. I never remarried or came close to it. I wasn't against it, I just never met anyone. I soon made friends and life got better. 


Mel and Cora

Leah and Chloe
Dennis, Katie, and Laura


Sept 1957

Just a few old memories

No comments: